Tuesday, February 26, 2019

My work here is done... for now


All in all not a bad take on a flying version of the UK Post Office's K8 telephone booth?

Enjoying the hottest few days on record for a winter's day here too, which affords ample time to stand in this thing to figure out the optimal dimensions. It is around 1.60 metres from nominal motor axis to nominal motor axis, which means that it can still swing one-metre rotors and yet lie within the competition constraints.

More to the point however although I cannot (quite) squeeze the hips in straight, I realise that I would be able to were I to maintain the surrounds forty centimetres square, but drop the alloys back to 40 millimetres square instead of fifty. Actually there are contingent pluses with this, as the most popular structural or locking aluminium extrusions are quite this size.

I like the fact that I am building this around my frame the way Mercedes build their racing cars around Lewis Hamilton.