Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Decidedly Sketchy


Here's what we're working toward however, the absence of booms meaning we can frame the pontoons with an 'H' arrangement having a cross-bar at either end that is unimpeded by the incursion of those booms. Incidentally it means, looking ahead, we can mount the motors and propellers at the leading edge as well as the trailing.

See what I mean from the picture below where our old friends the long clamps have stepped in to help. The timbers I have re-purposed from the previous build as with so much of my work, for greater love hath no drone than it lay down its life like this.

Those are 18mm square sections and so they stand proud of the laminated panels by a quarter-inch or 5mm, and I've used that to accommodate a bead of adhesive at either end.

The 24" cross-bars running fore and aft will be fixed separately, but for now notice how they form a slot that will retain each of the keels like a sort of dagger-board.

Notice too how thicker board would make for a more robust construction altogether besides adding more static buoyancy. In fact when my therapist asked me what I regretted in life, it was that I'd gone for 12.50mm instead of 20mm.

But then you just park it and carry on, don't you?