You're almost certainly in the Northeast to visit the old seminary at Ushaw I guess, or the ancestral home of George Washington in the eponymous village it occupied. Consider if you would though a visit to a 'living museum' that has been expanded greatly since my first visit?
The idea for a living museum derived from a man in Scandinavia who realised that the buildings and artefacts of yesteryear were disappearing, along with the skills involved in their manufacture and use. He thus set about recreating villages as they once would have been, which is largely what they've done at Beamish. The idea has spread to the Black Country besides the ironworks in Shropshire, but this was likely the first on this scale.
So sit back, relax and let Colin do the talking.
First up, a steam hammer for pounding red-hot lumps of iron into the shape you'd dreamt of. The guide felt the nearest end did the pounding, but I suggested he was wrong and that those grooves were likely for rings to seal the piston, and the other end had a form of bracket that might be used to replace the hammer-head. They did let me back in later after negotiations withe the management, however:
Here they have re-created the safety-lamps used by the miners prior a twelve-hour shift. They were well paid, as you'd expect for squeezing through seams of coal just 18" deep (although 16" was permissible in Wales). In the adit mine you are able to visit, eighty-eight miners died when one of them unscrewed the bottom of his lamp in order to light a pipe. Universally unpopular afterward, it mattered less as he was dead too:
The engineering shed is worth a glimpse as it contains a number of interesting locos, like this one with a vertical boiler that they called 'the coffee-pot':
And you don't get a better view of a saddle-tank than this, nowadays. You'd only a choice to stash water in a tank behind the cab, or else in a 'tender' hauled behind. This was an innovative alternative, though harder to build and uglier too, some may say. Note the leaf-springs, in contrast the simplest possible means of suspension:
I queued for a visit to the coal-mine as hinted at above, and here ChatGPT helped in rendering an image of me as I might appear after emerging from twelve hours down the pit. Coal-miners worked six days including Saturday, got hammered in the pub afterward and went to church Sunday; to rinse and repeat until an early death. Nor would they get to wear a polo-shirt:
There were many makers of bricks in those days, and here are just a fraction:
To create the museum involved the recreation of any number of buildings, piece by piece, rather than have them demolished and forgotten for good. One example of just how well this has been done at the museum is the school seen here:
I like the names they'd not hold back from giving their products in times past, like the machine seen here at the bakery that would go on to get its own Marvel series:
Among the many vehicles restored to perfection at the museum are this one at the bicycle repair-shop. They were known as 'quadricycles' and pre-dated automobiles. to the extent Ford himself had a hand in their development. I think they'd go down a storm if electrified nowadays:
In the park, besides a band-stand and live music of the era there is this magnificent howitzer of World War One vintage. I was anxious for a moment as I couldn't spot a recoil mechanism, but if you look closely you can see the rails that the carriage will have slid backwards along. Whether this would be sprung or elasticated with bungee cords was unclear, but I was able to get over it once given an ice-cream:
Sheffield was among the last city to abandon trams back in 1960, Glasgow following two years later. The council in Sheffield is known for stupid decisions, one of which was to chop down the trees it was famous for not long after I went to the university there. I wrote them to say they were stupid, and stupidly they never replied:
I feature this exhibit here from the 1950s housing section, because I realised we'd had it in the family home for years not long after, though in a lighter shade. Called Rosebud, I'll have visions of it in a snow-globe on my death-bed:
Doing the loop of the museum are a range of public transports that include the bus seen here that would be known as a 'charabanc' and especially popular for tours of the countryside during summer-times in England. Here you can sit in it wearing a Panama hat and imagining that at some stage the vicar will be murdered:
The cost of entry is currently £35. It sounds a lot, but then it's a Disneyland for the demented besides fun for all the family.