Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Maquette Man


We've seen the value of mock-ups in prototyping and product development, and a maquette is a scale model that provides for the look and feel of an element of the design, besides an insight in how it might best be constructed.

I've an aspect of all this that I'd like to include in a patent specification, however, for which I prefer a half-decent render to the sort of hand-drawn sketches that I have disgraced these pages with in the past.

The way I do that is to put a maquette of this kind together upon which to base the drawings, and in fact for this I have re-used parts from the crewed cat mock-up we so enjoyed earlier today.

Then I put these photographs either to my cousin to reproduce in SketchUp (once having been an architect as against the EasyJet captain he is now); for a lager and a curry.

Alternatively I pop them over to Richard Bache in Estonia where now he lives with a wife from thereabouts, and he converts them into drawings suitable for patent docs.

He has worked on any number of my specs in the past, the only fly in his ointment being the fact that Estonia requires all businesses to invoice using VAT registration viz. UK and European sales tax. This has to be done by a friend of mine, whom after has to be reimbursed by self.

It's probably one reason why the sane don't develop anything if they can help it.