Thursday, July 4, 2024

A Big Day Out


I head to the boat-builders in the Lake District, with the heater on because it's only July here in the North of England. I like what I see, which appears well up to my own wood-working skills.

I leave with six identical panels of 1.50mm three-ply sheet okoume wood, having had a Scotch Pie and coffee while the cutting took place. The grain runs lengthwise, which is not something I'd considered, along the sides of each panel. Sheets of three-ply under two mil thick seem unreal, and the owner said the mill doesn't like making them for that reason... they're difficult to get right.

I leave a happy man, the scent of okoume filling the car. Phil had said that since the UK left the EU their exports have dropped from 40% to nearer 5% ~ another way in which the politicians help our small businesses. Exports further afield tho' included body-shells for speed trials in Arizona (for cars I guess and not boats).

The sea-going kayaks in the photo weigh just 18kg fully-fitted, apparently lighter than could be expected of any composite construction. It being a one-stop-shop for all my timber needs, then, I let Phil know I'll be back for customised hydro-skis.

(Admittedly he'd looked sceptical at the outset, when I explained I wanted my boats to be able to fly themselves to the sea-side.)

Altogether a worthwhile trip though, eh Gromit?