Friday, June 4, 2021

For the Record


In order to construct a third-scale mock-up of the Californian concept, my patent all-purpose platform, I sub floral foam cylinders for motors and long-playing records for rotor-disks.

At the British Heart Foundation charity shop, the guy asks if he is able to assist in my selection of easy listening. "I'm looking," I say, "for music suitable for visualising an eight-rotor multicopter and therefore, the cheaper the better?".

He points me to a Billie Jo Spears compilation for £1.50, and if she's reading this I can only really apologise. Beyond that I go for a Tina Charles that features LOVE BUG although sadly it is missing my favourite, I LOVE TO LOVE (BUT MY BABY JUST WANTS TO DANCE). As it is unlikely to ever see a turntable again, however, I figure that doesn't matter.

Again at a price of £1.99 I select David Essex's "All the Fun of the Fair" which does this time include the HOLD ME CLOSE (be-doobie-doo) for which he is best known. I and my office-mates were sat near him once in a London restaurant where he was dating some other songbird, and we took the piss out of him mercilessly. Again Dave, if you're reading I can only apologise.

Fearing this was getting expensive, I asked the shop assistant if he had any better way of funding the final five disks. Clearly he's been asked this before, as he selects "A World of Their Own" by The Seekers, a box-set of five LPs for only four quid... positively made for the job!

Had they known their 'chansons' would end up sprawled naked around a people-carrying drone, they might never have bothered.

Look on my works, Ye Seekers, and despair!