Thursday, April 9, 2020

Covidiary #6


I register the above as a design, and I might as well flaunt it for a few days while things are quiet build-wise, not least because everything in the way of tooling and materials has to be ordered online in view of the national Coronaviral lockdown.

From hereon in it has to serve as something of a talisman and the basis of all flight-testing going forward. I debated the colour, having initially (as can be seen from the 2/3rd scale proof-of-concept below) gone for matt black for elements below the phone-box. 

I did this because the original K8 phone kiosk on which it was loosely based stood upon a black cast-iron base. Nobody would ever notice the fact however unless it was pointed out to them, and thus it seems pointless to use it here.

Beside that, the interaction with junior members of the public at the NASA Ames event at the end of February showed that the superstructure of the undercarriage is invariably a trip hazard, and thus ideally rendered as conspicuous as possible.

Apologies for a lack of posts over the past few days, while I took a break in the fine weather to do the back garden. Churchill did the same at times of national crisis as a diversion (and he an accomplished bricklayer), and I don't see why I shouldn't...