Friday, March 8, 2019

Riveting Stuff


It's problems beyond the workshop that often prove the most troublesome, and today I'm driving back and forth in the rain trying to find a pop-riveter that works. The previous tool from an auto shop still pulls, but the nozzle for 5mm rivets has one jammed inside that won't dislodge.

Having graduated at Sheffield ~ a town which perfected steel ~ I decide to spend £32 on a British-made riveter that falls at the first fence. I return to the auto shop to spend five times less on a replacement riveter of the first type, which I see has a lifetime guarantee anyway. 

Plus it works admirably... was sure that pop-riveting was supposed to be fun, and so it is.

The rivets are 5mm by 50mm on the shank and I've used a 4.9mm drill bit and run five-a-side, inspired by my love of football. Thus from the far left of the bonding-plate I've punched at 6, 16, 26, 36 and 46 centimetres.

While all this is going on the first commercial spacecraft to have docked with the international space station is set to re-enter Earth's atmosphere.

If there is anything to inspire us to get out into the rain looking for rivets, it is the fact that NASA is relying on one private individual in the shape of Elon Musk to deliver astronauts.

So building a personal air vehicle in your garage can't be that difficult really, can it?

I mean, it's not rocket science.