Monday, August 26, 2024

Mounting Tensions


I want the axes of each motor aligned with the uppermost spars of each pontoon, and in line with my 'left-over' and 'home-build' ethos my attention turns to surplus towel-rail brackets. These I fasten to the backside of each motor with epoxy that has been hanging around the workshop like a bad smell.

We are helped in all of this by the fact that these motors will power pusher propellers that are actively trying to pin them to the superstructure, as opposed to tractors that are actively trying to pull them apart. The UK's land speed record holder Richard Noble briefly manufactured a light aircraft called the ARV, and the one pilot I knew who flew it told me that once after take-off its propeller separated altogether from the engine.

I realise that Boeing for instance would not borrow bathroom fittings to secure power-plants, but we're rapid (-ish) prototyping here, aren't we? And besides, I'm told that Lotus themselves ~ who build in composites ~ actually glue their own motor mounts to the body with epoxy. And what's good enough for them...

Meanwhile these babies are in the kitchen oven where the glue will set quicker, and afterward we'll use self-tapping screws as part of a 'belt and braces' approach to life.