Wednesday, July 3, 2024

4-4-2


The principal obstacle to building the SLB is currently the fact that I'm tired of life and leap out of bed each day thinking, Fuck... is this all there is? To the extent I've drafted a promo vid in which I walk on stage in a black Miyake polo-neck and say, "Hi! I'm the CEO of TELEDRONE and I'm here to tell you how tired of life I am. Can't you just give me the money anyway, and save me building the boat?"

Nonetheless it's therapeutic ~ like a jig-saw for idiots ~ principally because it doesn't involve seeing other people. 

So this is how I'll outline the catamaran, based on a construction using a single sheet of plywood.

Three outlines arise from this draft as to how the prototype should be tested viz. (a) in the hover (b) moving on water and (c) transitioning from one state to the other.

Though the most sensible would be to test it on water, the more expensive option of getting it to hover first may make for better PR, because nobody on Earth has seen a boat carry itself from the driveway into the water.

4-4-2 incidentally is the classical formation for the outfield players in a soccer match. As it refers to previous designs, however, I've always found that the ideal ratio of width to length is between one to two-and-a-half, and one to three. Thus the outline above has hulls ten feet long, divided between forward, midships and stern at 4', 4' and 2'.

It may turn out to that it is in fact able to skim across (albeit calm) water even in the absence of those rear propellers being vectored for forward thrust.