Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Devil's in the Details


Working my way through fitting out each drone prior to incorporating the passenger booth. This includes a double skin on the centre body of each, as I notice a degree of bowing on the lower once loaded up... which is unsurprising as this is the lightest gauge of alloy tubing that I am using ~ I started out building these prototypes at the heaviest and working backwards before working in the opposite direction, if only in view of the budget.

I also add battery trays to the upper drone as I want a pack to address each pair of rotors left and right, although this will involve a considerable outlay on the additional packs of Lipo. I add brackets too at the point I figure is best to mount the electronic speed controllers (ESCs)  before realising they will have to be relocated... though there has been endless construction and deconstruction from the outset.

The reason for having to relocate said brackets is that I discover there is a sufficient length of lead to connect the lower ESCs to the flight controller mounted on the upper drone. In effect this means that the upper drone will be the 'brains' and the lower the 'brawn' that will work in tandem (occupying as it does a literal and figurative lower level in the workplace).