Thursday, January 16, 2020

Tech Ambassador


As Baz Luhrmann observed, it's the things that never crossed your mind that are most likely to blindside you at four p.m. on a Tuesday afternoon.

So by ten a.m on a Tuesday morning I was outside the US embassy in pursuit of a B-2 visa, without which the idea of joining the GoFly challenge next month would be purely academic.

I was much impressed I am by the rail service between Runcorn and Euston, which was non-stop and averaged practically 115 m.p.h. to get me there in one hour and forty-five minutes.

The visa process was equally slick though to invoke Baz Luhrmann again, there was not a free page in the passport where I could include a visa stamp and so I now have to pursue one of those too.

I walked the four and a half miles between Euston and the embassy in Vauxhall in the rain, something which would have been unwelcome during my working life in London, but which nowadays I view as an uncommon treat.

I spend the time on the 'Pendolino' train ~ which tilts ~ trying to figure out the best way of adapting a tilting rotor-head to the airframe of the TELEDRONE, should it prove necessary.

The laptop incidentally was not allowed in, and the local coffee-shop does better business in providing locker-storage than it does selling cappuccinos.