Friday, March 29, 2024

Homebuilt Helo #23


With the spars reclaimed from the last prototype, I see from the paintwork that this will be the third aircraft in which they've served. They're only 36" however, one inch shorter than the draft plan we're working from, and so it pays at this stage to stage a mockup with a couple of G-clamps, a pair of (dummy) propellers and two tins of tuna.

The tins of tuna subbed for motors in a PR shot prior to fitting out the prior prototype and all being well I shall be consuming their contents later in a bowl of pasta, with it being Good Friday today.

I like what I see, as the arrangement is more efficient than coaxial props while cutting the length of each cantilever effectively in half.

In theory any number of motors could be arranged along each arm this way, so don't bother trying to patent the idea now that I've let the cat out of the bag.

(After years pursuing IP I can say though that this would be considered obvious "to those practised in the art" as examiners like to say.)

N.B. the motors are going to be switched in reality, so that that propeller nearest you is going to be overslung and thus further from harm.