Wednesday, January 25, 2023

30- by 12-inch


No point re-inventing the wheel so I'll run with the 12-inch accommodation assembled already, in which event I'll up the frame to 30 inches square, as per the above. If I do need to add motors to raise the heavier (articulated) mannekin, then they will go onto an airframe fixed under-foot identical to that in the overhead.

The patent agent in Turkey presents an annual bill by way of a subscription, which is a good opportunity I feel for abandoning the process altogether. Boosted by a pandemic examiners here ~ as in the UK and US ~ have yet to come back with a response to the request for a search. In a way this is good, as it allows me to present myself as a "Prof Pat Pending".

Nonetheless I agree with James Dyson's views on the inadequacy of the patent system when it comes to assisting individuals or small firms in getting an idea off the ground. It has become (and especially so in the 21st century) simply the means for corporate cartels and monopolies to tighten a stranglehold on the commodities of everyday life.

In retrospect the design registration system makes for an altogether better record for any product development, and although Duncan Bannatyne said on "Dragon's Den" that designs are easily circumvented by minor variations, so too are most patents; such that a system developed in Jacobean England to advance technological progress does as much nowadays to stifle it.

In the interim I'm looking at crowdfunding. A review of Kickstarter rules says that they do not accept either heavily regulated or dangerous activities, which to my mind rules out aviation at the get-go. I put it to them in accordance with advice on the website, and I get a boiler-plate reply of no real use, albeit from a Titus Muchiri who does have a great name: African apparently, meaning "settler of arguments".

Great name for a guy in support at Kickstarter. Worked myself for Wang Computers for a while in London, whose own support program was called "Wangcare".

A name that might not ~ we suggested ~ go over quite so well in the UK?