Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Half-Scale Build #93


Here are the templates in place ready for drilling. You may wish to use a centre-punch on aluminium frames in particular, though I do so to take me back to those metalwork classes at school that I so enjoyed. Though he might not be with us any more, we thank Mr. Powell wherever he may be. Meanwhile back at the ranch I recommend that you warm the plastic frame up if it has overnighted in the garage, to suffer life's slings and arrows (and not least, drill-bits) more readily.

(When I trained to teach pilots in the simulator how to fly jet airliners, my instructor at the time had operated F-16s in Alaska, where cold made the metal switches so brittle that they would snap off at his finger-tips.)

Here too I cracked open a prop to make sure we've sufficient clearance. In case you're wondering too, there's always more clearance between a pair of props if they clear the centre-body, assuming you've used the rule-of-thumb that the centre-body is a third the size of the outer frame.

The propellers are lavishly packaged; something we owe a debt of gratitude for to the late Steve Jobs, who insisted every Apple product should be as great a pleasure to unwrap as to use. The propellers come with a velvet sleeve which looks uncannily like a Christmas willy-warmer, albeit for those of us with a 22" member.