Thursday, November 26, 2020

Droning in the Dark


Fuck, this drone technology's a pain in the ass.

Drive out for another ground run ~ toute seule ~ imagining I've covered all bases. Even to the extent I blank out the windows the better to see the laptop's screen

10,000 hours of jumping into airliners and only ONCE them failing to calibrate the IRS's during the first ten minutes, and that due an unduly hurried pushback on my part.

But the horizon refuses to report level and I cannot find the calibration for the life of me. And so after around three hours of trying, I resort to the flask of coffee and a tuna sandwich. Make a picnic of it whatever, I say.

The only silver lining is that the airframe, despite my pledge to beef it up, is suitably resilient. Dragged at high speed on the trailer around the country and slid off and back on and jacked up here and there with wooden blocks and no murmur of complaint.

Only one thing for it and that's to power the thing up in the garage whilst nailed to the trailer and go through the how-to videos before we emerge again into daylight.

The lockdown gestapos would be delighted.