Sunday, October 25, 2020

Broken Windows


In order to run the Mission Planner software I invest in a Windows PC. I think I've used Apple computers for decades for the reason they run out of the box, and my experience yesterday with this new laptop doesn't disappoint... from the point of view it doesn't.

Which is no more than I expected. After some hours of my life, so far as I can tell it won't run the software because it's a 'home' and not 'pro' edition of the operating system, and doesn't allow any program beside that in the Microsoft nursery to be downloaded and subsequently run.

Or at least without administrator rights belonging to the upgraded version, which costs fifty per cent of the cost of the (very nice) HP laptop. To the average programmer, this and the various workarounds are a positive joy on a Saturday afternoon... a time better spent for most of us at the shops buying an Apple instead.

It was Edison whom I believe selected the 4:3 format for the original photographic film and the moving pictures that followed, and TVs followed suit and stayed that way for decades. My feeling is that operating systems exert the same influence, such that scientific software written originally for DOS would remain trapped there ad infinitum.

There are apps out there for controlling drones that run on phones and laptops, but I guess for now I shall stump up the extra £120 and live with what I've got. At the same time I cannot help feeling that products which people buy through gritted teeth will eventually lose market share in the way that unpopular regimes are eventually toppled ~ and the current state of play is Android 39%, Windows 36%, iOS 14% and OSX 8%.

I do remember the introduction of PCs and recall the split being something like MS DOS 99% and Unix 1% back then, in the days when Microsoft saw 'a PC on every desk' before realising that Apple aimed instead at a PC in every home and an iPhone in every pocket.

And decades on, here's me with 'a helicopter in every garage'.