Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Schedule Unstuck


Project management is as much people management as anything.

I call the fabricators to discover the parts are still lying on the office-floor where I left them, which was not what I had in mind... problem being the guy dealing is on holiday and won't be back until next week.

An issue for inventors is that everyone from patent agents to Uncle Tom Cobley will have an opinion on how things can be improved. Whilst well-intentioned it is invariably problematic and produces something like the horse designed by committee that passes for a camel.

My fault really: should have just insisted on brazing or welding, for cash on the day.

So I recover the parts and revert to epoxy and pop-rivets instead of the suggested 'rivnuts' or rivets that include a nut to allow for disassembly. Personally I prefer a chassis which, like that of the iPhone could be marked, Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

I also want everyone including Tom Cobley to be able to build this in the garage using simple techniques and materials off-the-shelf. To my mind these include adhesives and pop-rivets, which I have been using since the days as a teenager I patched up a rusting Mini with alloy.

I glue one arm at a time, making-do with two G-clamps and shuffling them as I go. Rushing rarely mixes well with aviation, and in retrospect a better idea would be to glue all four arms at once, popping the top-plate on loose with the ballast and leaving overnight, especially in view of the fact the weather has turned colder.

I do this so you don't have to.